Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bonnie Scotland

Our last major trip was this past September when we travelled to Scotland. We drove around the entire country starting with Edinbrough/Glasgow, then clockwise along the western coast, up to Inverness, thence east to Aberdeen, Perth, St. Andrews and back to Edinburgh. It's an incredibly beautiful country with one scenic view trumped by the next. I took a lot of photos to which I referred when I began to paint them. Here are but a couple.
Sunset over the Firth of Lorn

This is near Oban on the west coast. We were sitting in a waterside restaurant when this sunset developed almost like magic. I hadn't brought my camera, but I saw a photographer outside. I went out and accosted his wife, gave her my card and asked her if he would e-mail me some of the images. Sure enough, the images were on my computer when we got home. The Scots are like that. His name is Barry Fisher and I hope he likes this result of his work.

On the Road to Skye

This was one of the magnificent views on this road from Ft. William west to the Isle of Skye. What wild country. So happens that remnants of Hurricane Irene swept the west coast of Scotland that particular day (U.S. hurricanes often end up there , we were told). It made for an interesting ride, but by the time we got to Loch Ness, it was clearing up and we saw a spectacular rainbow over the Loch. But I really wanted to capture this wild and stormy, yet beautiful landscape.

Bonnie on the bonnie, bonnie banks...

Couldn't resist this! We stopped to visit Loch Lomond which is indeed lovely. My wife, Bonnie insisted on this photo. I present "Bonnie on the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond." Forgive me.

1 comment:

Heather Walt said...

Very thoughtful bllog